With technology advancing at lightning speed, a computer and the human mind are working more and more in tandem. In order to facilitate this, programmers make use of a language called Natural Language Processing (NLP).
What is NLP?
Natural Language Processing (NLP) is a programming language that lies at the intersection of computer science and artificial intelligence. In essence, it is a means for computers and humans to interact in normal, or natural, language. There are many different applications of Natural Language Processing, such as voice assistants, digital assistants and more
Types of NLP
There are three major branches for application of Natural Language Processing. These are:
- Speech Recognition: The NLP code translates spoken language into text, which then acts as input for the computer system.
- Natural Language Understanding: The NLP code interprets and understands what we say.
- Natural Language Generation: The computer generates natural language by itself.
Business Applications of NLP
Natural Language Processing is now widely used by managers, executives and start-ups around the world. Here are some of the key business applications of Natural Language Processing:
- Brand sentiment analysis – Marketers and Brand managers worldwide use sentiment analysis to understand how their brand and marketing materials are being perceived by their audiences. Most importantly, it is used to interpret web comments, social media interactions and monitor mentions and tags. NLP is the best way to learn the human language and crack the sentiment behind it.
- Cybersecurity – Phishing and email attacks are becoming increasingly common with each passing day. By making use of Natural Language Processing to break down, interpret and decipher the emails coming and going through the servers can save companies hundreds of thousands of dollars in ransom, cyber security protocols and non-compliance fee. Moreover, it can also help safeguard company data from vicious cyber attackers guised as professionals, managers and clients behind emails.
- Voice recognition – All company websites are now incorporating voice search into their codes. Voice search has taken the world by storm – even website bots are now taking voice queries and commands as well. All thanks to the amazing advanced code called Natural Language Processing.
Future of NLP in Business
Many companies are now incorporating Natural Language Processing into their day to day business operations. They make use of the code for a variety of different business functions and to enhance their bottom line.
However, the future of Natural Language Processing in business extends way beyond the language by itself. Instead, we see businesses and managers implementing Natural Language Processing along with Deep Learning Algorithms. The combination of the two allows computer systems to not only understand and implement human sentiment, but can also manipulate and control this sentiment whilst giving insights from current standings and further provide recommendations on how to improve. Deep Learning and Natural Language Processing applications for business are touted to expand outside just sentiment analysis or customer relationship management.
To understand more about Natural Language Processing and how it can help your business, check out the full video of the Mini Class Introduction to Natural Language Processing hosted by Salman Khan.
Register now for our Data Science Course and learn more.